Inland Empire News
Ex-Marine sentenced to death in murders of fellow Marine, wife
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A former Marine has been sentenced to death for the brutal attack and murder of a fellow Marine and his wife.
Tyrone Miller, 25, received the death penalty Friday. A Riverside County judge denied his request for a new trial or reduced sentence and ordered to let stand the jury's recommendation of death for Miller.
Miller is one of three former Marines convicted of murder in the killings of Marine Sgt. Jan Pietrzak and his wife, Quiana Jenkins-Pietrzak.
Prosecutors say the men went to Pietrzak's Winchester house with the intent to rob him but they ended up beating the Marine sergeant and sexually assaulting his wife before shooting the newly married couple to death execution-style.
In court Friday, family members of the victims delivered tearful statements before the judge.
"I always say my lights went out on Oct. 15, 2008 as the world I knew became heartache, loneliness, coldness and darkness because of the death of my daughter and my son-in-law," said Fay Jenkins, the victim's mother.
Jurors convicted three former Marines of the murders last month. They recommended the death penalty for Miller and 23-year-old Emrys John and life without parole for 25-year-old Kevin Cox.
A fourth defendant in the murders, Kesaun Sykes, is being tried separately.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
riverside county, shooting, homicide investigation, murder, inland empire news, leo stallworth
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 11 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash 46 min ago
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- 'Functional fitness' takes dysfunctional turn
22 min ago