Inland Empire News
Ex-Marine sentenced to death in murders of fellow Marine, wife
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A former Marine has been sentenced to death for the brutal attack and murder of a fellow Marine and his wife.
Tyrone Miller, 25, received the death penalty Friday. A Riverside County judge denied his request for a new trial or reduced sentence and ordered to let stand the jury's recommendation of death for Miller.
Miller is one of three former Marines convicted of murder in the killings of Marine Sgt. Jan Pietrzak and his wife, Quiana Jenkins-Pietrzak.
Prosecutors say the men went to Pietrzak's Winchester house with the intent to rob him but they ended up beating the Marine sergeant and sexually assaulting his wife before shooting the newly married couple to death execution-style.
In court Friday, family members of the victims delivered tearful statements before the judge.
"I always say my lights went out on Oct. 15, 2008 as the world I knew became heartache, loneliness, coldness and darkness because of the death of my daughter and my son-in-law," said Fay Jenkins, the victim's mother.
Jurors convicted three former Marines of the murders last month. They recommended the death penalty for Miller and 23-year-old Emrys John and life without parole for 25-year-old Kevin Cox.
A fourth defendant in the murders, Kesaun Sykes, is being tried separately.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
riverside county, shooting, homicide investigation, murder, inland empire news, leo stallworth
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 51 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 13 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 30 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator 41 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary 14 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'