Inland Empire News
Chris Dorner case: Owner of burned cabin files $420,000 claim
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- The owner of a Big Bear area cabin that burned down when police surrounded fugitive Christopher Dorner in February has filed a claim to recoup the cost of the cabin.
Candace Martin of Palmdale is seeking $420,000 from San Bernardino County after tear gas canisters set her cabin near Barton Flats on fire.
If her claim is rejected by the county, Martin can then file a lawsuit.
Dorner, a former Los Angeles policeman, was wanted for the murders of four people, including two law enforcement officers.
The suspect vowed to wage war on police following his dismissal for making a false report. Officials said Dorner falsely claimed he witnessed a training officer kick a mentally ill man during an arrest. Dorner went on a 10-day killing spree in response to what he considered his wrongful termination.
He was eventually tracked down at a cabin near Big Bear Lake. He died in a subsequent shootout with police and sheriff's deputies that resulted in the cabin burning to the ground. It was determined he killed himself with a self-inflicted gunshot.
Martin's claim was filed jointly with that of Palmdale resident Eric Funnel, who is seeking $10,000 in compensation from the county.
San Bernardino County spokesman David Wert says the county is still gathering information from Martin. The claim remains open.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
inland empire news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero' 20 min ago
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour