Inland Empire News
Record shoe collector killed in Menifee; boyfriend arrested
MENIFEE, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman who got in the Guinness World Records for her collection of shoes and shoe-related items was killed in Menifee. Authorities have arrested her boyfriend for murder.
Just looking at 58-year-old Darlene Flynn's house from the outside, you can tell the person who lived there was a big fan of shoes. In fact, Flynn was recently featured on the TLC show, "My Collection Obsession," where she told viewers she had 14,999 shoe-related items.
Also featured on the show was Flynn's boyfriend, 29-year-old Justin Smith.
"Well, Darlene, that's all she talks about in the morning are shoes, shoes, and shoes," Smith said on the show.
Now Smith is in custody for Flynn's murder. On Monday, a neighbor called police because of yelling coming from the home. When authorities arrived, they found Flynn's body in the backyard swimming pool and saw Smith running away from the scene shirtless.
Neighbor Steven Danford says he knew that not all was right between the couple next door.
"I'd hear her yelling. They'd be fighting a little bit, every couple of months or so," said Danford. "He'd be fighting with her, and he'd take off, and come back a couple hours later. They just did not get along real well, it seemed like, but he kept coming back."
Investigators said Flynn's body had signs of blunt force trauma. Smith has been charged with murder. His arraignment is scheduled for Thursday.
homicide investigation, riverside county, arrest, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse 28 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 9 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts