Inland Empire News
San Bernardino officer, 2 suspects injured in shooting
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A San Bernardino police officer and two suspects were shot and injured Friday night.
The incident happened around 9 p.m. at Sierra Way and Baseline Avenue. San Bernardino police said two officers stopped a car for a traffic violation. Two of the four suspects in the vehicle shot at the officers, and the officers returned fire, police said.
Both suspects were shot in the legs. One of the officers was also shot in the leg. All three people were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The officer has since been released from the hospital.
Neighbors said they heard a lot of gunshots.
"I was in my backyard playing with my kids. I hear like 80 shotguns, and it was really scary," said Eunice Toscano of San Bernardino.
Authorities said the suspects' weapons were recovered at the scene. The two other suspects in the car ran away and have not been located.
The two injured suspects were identified as Eric Newson, 22, of Los Angeles and Keijuan Mayfield, 22, of Redlands. Mayfield has since been booked into jail.
Anyone with information on this incident was asked to call Detective John Munoz at (909) 384-5630.
officer-involved shooting, inland empire news, melissa macbride
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping 45 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 53 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies 13 min ago
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12 6 min ago
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet 53 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Cockfighting ring busted in Riverside County
35 min ago