Inland Empire News
San Bernardino officer, 2 suspects injured in shooting
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A San Bernardino police officer and two suspects were shot and injured Friday night.
The incident happened around 9 p.m. at Sierra Way and Baseline Avenue. San Bernardino police said two officers stopped a car for a traffic violation. Two of the four suspects in the vehicle shot at the officers, and the officers returned fire, police said.
Both suspects were shot in the legs. One of the officers was also shot in the leg. All three people were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The officer has since been released from the hospital.
Neighbors said they heard a lot of gunshots.
"I was in my backyard playing with my kids. I hear like 80 shotguns, and it was really scary," said Eunice Toscano of San Bernardino.
Authorities said the suspects' weapons were recovered at the scene. The two other suspects in the car ran away and have not been located.
The two injured suspects were identified as Eric Newson, 22, of Los Angeles and Keijuan Mayfield, 22, of Redlands. Mayfield has since been booked into jail.
Anyone with information on this incident was asked to call Detective John Munoz at (909) 384-5630.
officer-involved shooting, inland empire news, melissa macbride
- Target probe focuses on processing centers 44 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban 16 min ago
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Casey Kasem conservatorship deal reached 25 min ago
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future