Inland Empire News
Former Redlands teacher pleads guilty to teen sex charges
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A former Redlands teacher who allegedly gave birth to her student's baby reached a deal with prosecutors, pleading guilty to charges she had sex with a minor.
Laura Whitehurst, 28, stood shackled in a San Bernardino courtroom and pleaded guilty to six counts of felony sex charges.
Under the deal, Whitehurst will receive one year in jail and must register as a sex offender for life. She will also be under probation for five years, and she will have to forfeit her teaching credentials.
"We talked to the victims in the case to find out what they would like to see happen in the case, and the victims in the case move forward with their lives," said Deputy District Attorney Melissa Rodriguez.
Whitehurst avoids the possibility of nearly three decades in prison had she been convicted. Prosecutors say the plea deal does not give her immunity if any future victims come forward.
The former Citrus Valley High and Redlands High teacher had been charged with 41 felony counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and oral copulation with a minor under the age of 18.
"She made some big mistakes, there are serious consequences, and she's going to pay them," said Whitehurst's attorney James Gass.
But he maintains his client wasn't alone in committing the acts.
"She was not charged with doing anything against anyone's will or by force," Gass said.
Earlier this month, Whitehurst was arrested shortly after giving to a baby girl allegedly fathered by a former student at Citrus Valley High School. The 17-year-old student was 16 during the time of their alleged relationship, which lasted a year, according to police.
Following her arrest, two other victims came forward saying they too had a relationship with Whitehurst while students.
The judge ordered Whitehurst to stay away from the 17-year-old. The formal sentencing will be on Aug. 28.
arrest, sex crimes, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 9 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon 2 min ago
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 35 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M 57 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- New technology monitors pet fitness
20 min ago