Inland Empire News
Boyfriend murders plot: UC Riverside student Barbara Wu to stand trial
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A judge on Monday found there's sufficient evidence for a former University of California-Riverside student to stand trial on charges of soliciting the murder of two ex-boyfriends.
Barbara Wu was back in a Riverside County courthouse Monday, facing her former flames in the bizarre murder for hire plot. The district attorney says after the 22-year-old's boyfriend broke up with her, she planned her revenge and tried to enlist her current boyfriend, whose identity has been hidden because he is considered a victim.
The former boyfriend admits he helped Wu egg her ex's car and helped her post a sex ad on Craigslist, but when it came to murder, he went to police. He says he wore a wire for investigators and recorded a conversation in which Wu allegedly said she wanted to take out her ex in a Virginia Tech-style shooting at his apartment complex.
"She was going to commit suicide. That she would rather go do as Virginia Tech, but she would try to contain it so that [the victim] would be in that shooting," John Doe #1 testified at a preliminary hearing.
Wu's attorney, Rajan Maline, claims the alleged murder plot was nothing more than talk since the two never actually laid out a plan.
"Not a plan to harm him, not a plan to egg his car, to do further mischief to him, I'm talking about a plan to kill," said Maline.
But another ex-boyfriend says Wu did have a plan to kill her high school boyfriend back in 2010. He testified he was with her when she bought a shovel, needles and duct tape.
"She told me that she would lure him out and while talking, I would smash him in the back of the head," he said.
He told the court while he thought the plan was nonsense, he was pretty sure Wu was serious.
Wu was ordered to stand trial on five felonies and two misdemeanors. The felonies include two counts of solicitation to commit murder and one of stalking.
Wu has pled not guilty to the charges. If convicted, she faces up to 15 years in prison.
arrest, court case, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Telescope detects Earth-like planet
10 min ago