Inland Empire News
1st San Bernardino County West Nile Virus case reported
VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- San Bernardino County's first 2013 case of West Nile Virus infection was reported Monday.
A middle-aged Victorville resident was hospitalized with a case of the virus, but has now recovered.
Across 38 states, 99 human cases of West Nile Virus have been reported in 2013. Four of those case were fatal.
The California Department of Public Health and the County of San Bernardino Department of Public Health encourages the public to participate in the West Nile Virus surveillance program, by reporting dead birds or squirrels to the State West Nile Virus toll-free hotline at (877) WNV-BIRD, or online at California West Nile Virus Website.
The County of San Bernardino residents can protect themselves and their families from West Nile Virus by taking these precautions:
-- Drain or Dump: Remove all sources of standing water around your property where mosquitos lay eggs such as birdbaths, green swimming pools, ponds, old tires, buckets, clogged gutters, or even puddles from leaky sprinklers.
-- Dawn and Dusk: Mosquitoes are most active in the early morning and evening. If you are outdoors during these times take precaution and wear proper clothing and repellent.
-- Dress: Wear shoes, socks, and long pants and long-sleeved shirts that are loose fitting and light colored.
-- DEET: Apply insect repellent containing DEET according to manufacturer's directions. Repellents keep the mosquitos from biting you.
-- Doors: Make sure doors and windows have tight-fitting screens. Repair or replace screens that have tears or holes to prevent mosquitos from entering your home.
health, inland empire news
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 55 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 49 min ago
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 46 min ago
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard 18 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 35 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'