Inland Empire News
1st San Bernardino County West Nile Virus case reported
VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- San Bernardino County's first 2013 case of West Nile Virus infection was reported Monday.
A middle-aged Victorville resident was hospitalized with a case of the virus, but has now recovered.
Across 38 states, 99 human cases of West Nile Virus have been reported in 2013. Four of those case were fatal.
The California Department of Public Health and the County of San Bernardino Department of Public Health encourages the public to participate in the West Nile Virus surveillance program, by reporting dead birds or squirrels to the State West Nile Virus toll-free hotline at (877) WNV-BIRD, or online at California West Nile Virus Website.
The County of San Bernardino residents can protect themselves and their families from West Nile Virus by taking these precautions:
-- Drain or Dump: Remove all sources of standing water around your property where mosquitos lay eggs such as birdbaths, green swimming pools, ponds, old tires, buckets, clogged gutters, or even puddles from leaky sprinklers.
-- Dawn and Dusk: Mosquitoes are most active in the early morning and evening. If you are outdoors during these times take precaution and wear proper clothing and repellent.
-- Dress: Wear shoes, socks, and long pants and long-sleeved shirts that are loose fitting and light colored.
-- DEET: Apply insect repellent containing DEET according to manufacturer's directions. Repellents keep the mosquitos from biting you.
-- Doors: Make sure doors and windows have tight-fitting screens. Repair or replace screens that have tears or holes to prevent mosquitos from entering your home.
health, inland empire news
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon 32 min ago
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 3 min ago
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 35 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants