Inland Empire News
Corona teacher denies sex allegations, says phone was hacked
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Corona teacher accused of having sex with underage boys on school grounds appeared in court Thursday morning. Her attorney says the allegations are false, likening them to a witch hunt.
"Ms. Summer Hansen says she did not have any sexual relations, period, with any of the boys. No lewd touching, no weird touching, nothing at all," said defense attorney David R. Cohn.
The 31-year-old entered the crowded courtroom with her husband, friends and attorney at her side. She faces 16 felony sex charges. The arraignment was postponed because the assigned district attorney was not available.
Hansen taught special ed at Centennial High School in Corona. According to the arrest warrant, Hansen committed sexual acts with at least five underage boys. Investigators say none of the alleged victims are special-ed students.
The alleged encounters happened on school grounds and at the home of one alleged victim.
"She has credible explanations for the text messages and emails and photographs that people may have received," Cohn said.
The accused teacher believes her cellphone was hacked.
"She actually went to the phone company twice, changed her phone twice. She went to the school, went to admin people at the school, we've verified all that, and confirmed with many people that people were receiving text, emails and photographs from her that she states she did not send," Cohn said.
But one alleged victim told detectives that what started off as flirtatious phone calls and texting soon turned to sex.
"If we didn't believe we could prosecute this case, and convince a jury that the charges are true, we wouldn't have filed it," said John Hall from the Riverside County District Attorney's Office.
Hansen is due back in court on Sept. 12 to enter her plea to the charges. She remains free on bail and on paid administrative leave from the school district.
If convicted, Hansen could face up to 13 years in prison.
riverside county, arrest, school, sex crimes, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians