Inland Empire News
Man poses as call girl to lure robbery victims, police say
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- Men responding to a so-called "dating" website in Riverside County were expecting sex. But instead, police say they became robbery victims.
At the corner of Jean Marie Way and Granite View Drive in Perris is a quiet neighborhood that has been the site of multiple robberies for the past few weeks.
Authorities say 21-year-old Gary Glen House was behind the crimes. They say he posted a fake online ad in order to lure men so that he could rob them.
"He was pretending to be a call girl. Because the sites they used are sites that normally johns are looking for females, companionship for sex," said Deputy Albert Martinez with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.
Four men answered the ad. But instead of meeting with the woman pictured in it, investigators say they came face-to-face with House at gunpoint.
The latest robbery happened around 2:30 a.m. Sunday. The victim ran away and called police. Investigators eventually connected House to the robberies.
"With new technology, there's a lot of different tools that we have in law enforcement that eventually we'll be able to find out who they are," said Martinez.
House was arrested just a few doors down from where he allegedly arranged to meet the men. Investigators say they found some of the stolen items after serving a search warrant at the suspect's home. His neighbors say they were unaware of what was happening.
"It's very quiet here, so to hear something about this is kind of scary," said neighbor Nereyda Gonzalez.
robbery, riverside county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants