Inland Empire News
Lewis Elementary School hit hard by IE storms; soldiers pitch in to help
FORT IRWIN, Calif. (KABC) -- Storms severely damaged a school at Fort Irwin forcing classes to be set up in barracks while the cleanup is underway. Soldiers are helping out.
At Lewis Elementary School, soldiers are mobilized. Their mission: Get all 651 students back in class by next Tuesday.
Sunday, thunderstorms moved across the Southern California desert, slamming Fort Irwin National Training Center. The elementary school was hit the hardest.
"A lot of our stuff will be unusable," said Lewis Principal Patti Baer.
With 90 percent of classrooms flooded, Baer needed an army.
"We got hundreds of soldiers who are sweating and putting their back into it and moving stuff," said Ft. Irwin Garrison Commander Colonel Jon Braga.
Each teacher was given an officer and soldiers. Their assignment: pack up the classrooms and move everything out.
Outside the elementary school you can see just how high the water came up, but the real damage was done inside.
"We had water up from anywhere from 12 to 18 inches in these rooms, and all of the new carpeting at Lewis was destroyed," said Silver Valley Unified School District Superintendent Dr. Marc Jackson.
It will take up to eight weeks to make repairs. The good news is that the base has figured out a way to keep the kids together.
While it may not look exactly like their old classrooms, the temporary barracks will definitely feel a little bit like it. From desks to books, these soldiers are making sure the kids are comfortable.
In the meantime, parents are also working to help teachers replace ruined supplies through donations, and the PTA is hoping to buy supplies.
Lewis Elementary School
PO Box 1005
Ft. Irwin CA
Visit: Lewis Elementary School
storm, rain, flooding, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling 42 min ago
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders 25 min ago
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
48 min ago