Inland Empire News
Big rig hits bridge on 10 Freeway in Fontana
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A big rig driver crashed into a bridge on the 10 Freeway in Fontana Thursday, forcing the closure of westbound lanes and causing a major traffic backup.
The crash happened just before 5 p.m. as rush hour was getting underway. The driver of a tractor trailer hit the underside of the bridge at Citrus Avenue.
The big rig was carrying a skip loader, which hit the bridge and caused scaffolding and other building material to fall onto the freeway.
Authorities shut down the wesbound side of the freeway for several hours. Lanes reopened around 9:20 p.m.
Five months ago, two big rigs carrying heavy construction equipment hit the same bridge. That crash caused a three-hour closure of freeway lanes.
traffic delay, accident, car crash, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 29 min ago
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)