Inland Empire News
Corona teacher pleads not guilty to sex with students
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Corona high school teacher accused of having sex with underage students was arraigned Thursday.
Summer Hansen, 31, pleaded not guilty to 16 felony sex charges with underage boys. The only time she spoke was to acknowledge her next court date.
According to investigators she had sex with five students while working as a special-education teacher at Centennial High School. Hansen is currently on unpaid administrative leave from the school district.
Investigators say that Hansen didn't teach any of the alleged victims, but some of the alleged crimes happened on school grounds and at the home of one alleged victim.
"She has vehemently stated she is innocent of these charges. Not just not guilty, but innocent of these charges," said defense attorney David Cohn. "She did nothing with these boys."
Hansen also denies she sent racy text messages and a photo of herself to any of the alleged victims.
"Let's think: Do teenagers lie? Sure they do. Do teenagers say something and believe in it and still go forward with it? Sure they do," said Cohn.
But the district attorney's office says its case is strong and they have evidence to move forward.
"We have extensive evidence in this case. There's things like phone records, there's going to be all kinds of things like that that have to be examined," said John Hall, Riverside County District Attorney's Office spokesperson.
Cohn said Hansen's phone had been hacked months before her arrest.
Hansen was released on bail and is due back in court on October 29.
riverside county, arrest, school, sex crimes, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Ambulance crash: 3 injured in Signal Hill 32 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood 30 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role