Inland Empire News
Riverside police fatally shoot knife-wielding man; described as suicidal
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was fatally shot in the front yard of a Riverside home after he tried to attack police with a knife Friday.
The shooting occurred near the intersection of 10th Street and Sedgwick Avenue around 9:30 p.m.
Police were sent to the home after neighbors called 911 and told authorities there was a man holding a knife and acting bizarre.
Responding officers found Hector Jimenez, 50, frantically waiving the knife and cutting himself. Police say he refused to put down the knife and charged at the officers. That's when the shooting occurred.
"They established communications with him, asked him to put the knife down and after negotiating with him for a few minutes the subject charged the officers at which time the officers opened fire in defense of their lives," said Riverside police Lt. Guy Toussaint.
Jimenez was pronounced dead at the scene.
The man's daughter, Lily Jimenez, says her dad was an alcoholic and had just been diagnosed with cancer. She says he was under medication and delirious.
Anyone with information was urged to contact Detective Ron Sanfilippo at (951) 353-7105 or Detective Mike Medici at (951) 353-7104.
CNS contributed to this report.
riverside county, shooting, inland empire news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 20 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 49 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)