Inland Empire News
Chino Hills fatal pursuit was part of child molestation probe
CHINO HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- A child molestation investigation was at the center of a Chino Hills police pursuit that ended in a crash that killed the suspect.
Police say they were trying to stop the driver of the white pickup truck Wednesday night. The driver ended up being thrown from the car after the vehicle crashed onto the 71 Freeway from a parking lot several hundred feet above the road on a hill.
During the chase, police say the suspect actually called family members and told them he was going to commit suicide. The suspect accelerated in the parking lot for about 450 feet and there is no indication he ever hit the brakes. It's unclear just how fast the driver was going.
The car cleared a fence at the bottom of the hill, tumbled over the center median and came to a stop on the northbound side of the 71 Freeway shortly after 11:30 p.m. The unidentified driver was ejected from the truck and killed.
Amazingly, no one else was hurt.
"I know a lot of people that use this freeway every day and he could have killed someone easily," said Dean Bentson, a Chino resident.
While residents shake their heads in disbelief, police continue with their investigation.
car crash, car chase, pursuit, san bernardino county, inland empire news, john gregory
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam 26 min ago
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects 48 min ago
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
3 min ago