Inland Empire News
Reward offered for Fontana fatal hit-and-run information
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of a woman killed in a hit-and-run collision is begging for anyone with information to come forward.
On August 24, Maria Chagolla, a mother of three, was struck on Slover Avenue in an unincorporated area of Fontana.
More than a month after Chagolla, 46, was killed, a memorial still sits where it happened.
But as the flowers begin to wilt, the investigation into who's responsible is at a standstill. So Tuesday, desperate for justice, the victim's family stepped forward to beg the public for help.
It happened on August 24 just after 10 p.m. The California Highway Patrol says Chagolla was standing on the eastbound side of Slover, perhaps even in the traffic lane, talking on her cellphone, trying to give directions to a friend on how to get to her location, when she was struck and killed.
The CHP says it's possible the driver didn't even see her, but they they didn't stop.
There is no street lighting along one side of Slover, and the CHP says there is no surveillance video available, so with so little to go on, the family is now offering a $5,000 reward.
The CHP says an unknown driver stopped to help right after it happened, but left the scene before talking with police. Investigators want to hear from that person too.
If you have information related to the case, call the California Highway Patrol at (909) 980-3994.
hit and run, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church 22 min ago
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 37 min ago
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- VC suspicious death investigation underway 5 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations 49 min ago
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week 48 min ago
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis