Inland Empire News
Reward offered for Fontana fatal hit-and-run information
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of a woman killed in a hit-and-run collision is begging for anyone with information to come forward.
On August 24, Maria Chagolla, a mother of three, was struck on Slover Avenue in an unincorporated area of Fontana.
More than a month after Chagolla, 46, was killed, a memorial still sits where it happened.
But as the flowers begin to wilt, the investigation into who's responsible is at a standstill. So Tuesday, desperate for justice, the victim's family stepped forward to beg the public for help.
It happened on August 24 just after 10 p.m. The California Highway Patrol says Chagolla was standing on the eastbound side of Slover, perhaps even in the traffic lane, talking on her cellphone, trying to give directions to a friend on how to get to her location, when she was struck and killed.
The CHP says it's possible the driver didn't even see her, but they they didn't stop.
There is no street lighting along one side of Slover, and the CHP says there is no surveillance video available, so with so little to go on, the family is now offering a $5,000 reward.
The CHP says an unknown driver stopped to help right after it happened, but left the scene before talking with police. Investigators want to hear from that person too.
If you have information related to the case, call the California Highway Patrol at (909) 980-3994.
hit and run, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area 34 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report