Inland Empire News
Mentally challenged woman defrauded: 2 arrested
ONTARIO, Calif. (KABC) -- Two Lake Elsinore residents were arrested Tuesday for defrauding a mentally challenged individual.
Sebre Amadee Abdul, 57, and Maria Elia Chavira, 48, were arrested during the service of a search warrant at their residence on the 53000 block of Memorial Street in Lake Elsinore at 8 a.m. Tuesday.
The suspects allegedly induced a mentally challenged adult Ontario woman into making multiple withdrawals from her bank account in the approximate amount of $10,000. Abdul allegedly then gambled away the money at an L.A. County casino.
Abdul and Chavira are accused of then transporting the victim to seven different businesses to open credit accounts in her name, totaling more than $36,000, according to Ontario Police. The two suspects then fraudulently bought large amounts of furniture by charging to those accounts.
During Tuesday's search warrant, investigators located evidence in the residence included fraudulently purchase furniture, according to police.
Abdul and Chavira were later booked at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga for charges of burglary, grand theft, theft from an elder and elderly abuse.
Detectives are concerned there may be others that were victimized by Abdul and Chavira. Anyone with information about the incident or feel they may have been victimized in the same manner is asked to contact Ontario Police Detective Al Parra at (909) 395-2752.
arrest, fraud, burglary, inland empire news
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 25 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside 17 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected 38 min ago
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 25 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler