Inland Empire News
Rialto school accountant charged with embezzlement
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 48-year-old woman, accused of stuffing lunch money in her bra and embezzling nearly $2 million from the Rialto Unified School District, was in court Wednesday.
Judith Oakes was arrested on Aug. 7 after she was caught on video stuffing school lunch money into her bra.
The former Rialto Unified School District accountant is charged with eight counts of embezzlement by public or private officer and eight counts of public officer crime in connection with the suspected embezzlement of $1.8 million over the past eight years.
The suspect handled deposits of student lunch money into a district bank account. Her arrest followed an investigation into missing funds.
She was arrested and booked into West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga but later released on $50,000 bail.
Oakes appeared at her arraignment and bail increase hearing with her family by her side Wednesday. She pleaded not guilty to all charges and denied all special allegations.
Defense attorney Pat Milligan asked the court that his client's bail be reduced from the $1.8 million the DA's office had set. He argued his client had strong community ties and was not a flight risk. A judge, however, denied the request saying while Oakes did not appear to be a flight risk, the seriousness of the crime warranted the bail amount.
"The family was crushed that we did not get a bail that would allow them to post their bail on their child and mother without breaking the bank of all of these people," said Milligan.
Oakes was taken back into custody by bailiffs in the court. She is due back in court on Nov. 21.
If convicted of all charges, Oakes faces up to 11 years in state prison.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san bernardino county, arrest, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis