Inland Empire News
Baby dies after birth in city park; mother arrested
RIVERSIDE COUNTY, Calif. (KABC) -- Riverside County Sheriff's deputies arrested a Thermal woman after her newborn baby was found dead in a park Monday.
Deputies responded to a report of a deceased baby found at a park on the 65200 block of Cahuilla Street in Mecca at about 7:24 a.m. Monday. An investigation determined the baby had been born and then died at the location.
A woman was found at the scene, according to the sheriff's department. She was hospitalized and treated for undisclosed reasons.
Investigating detectives identified the woman as the mother of the deceased infant. Thermal resident Esmeralda Gonzalez Martinez, 34, was arrested for voluntary manslaughter and willful harm to a child. She was jailed in Indio.
The cause of the baby's death was pending a coroner's report.
arrest, homicide investigation, inland empire news
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing 14 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 34 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested 38 min ago
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months