Inland Empire News
Fontana crash: Video shows speeding truck in crash that killed family
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A couple and their 2-year-old daughter were killed in a tragic crash in Fontana. The three were stopped at a red light when their car was rear-ended by another vehicle.
Shawn Michael Scott, 33, and his girlfriend Helen Terry Amaya, also 33, were headed home Monday at about 8:30 p.m. The couple's daughter Joleen was also in the car with them.
Family members say the three were less than a mile away when they were all killed in the horrific crash. Witnesses who saw what happened say it sounded like a bomb went off.
"I seen this truck coming, and he just picked up speed. Next thing, I heard that, another big boom, then it was all black," described one witness.
Fontana police say for some reason the driver of a red truck driving southbound on Citrus Avenue failed to stop at the red light at Foothill Boulevard. That's when the driver rear-ended the car with the three victims, pushing it into the intersection, where another car plowed into it.
"What we saw was just without words," described another witness.
Surveillance video from a gas station at the corner captured a shadowy image of the speeding truck approaching the intersection.
Fontana police say the 24-year-old driver who ran the red light has been interviewed but not arrested. That driver's identity was not released. Authorities say the driver broke his ankle in the crash, and his passenger sustained a broken leg.
Investigators say there are no apparent signs of drugs or alcohol involved, although it could take weeks for the investigation to be completed.
People who saw the wreck say it'll be quite some time before these terrible images fade away.
"It's terrifying. No words can explain what you see and what you feel seeing that," described a witness.
Amaya's family members started a fund to go toward memorial services and funeral arrangements. If you would like to donate, you can visit www.gofundme.com.
san bernardino county, car crash, inland empire news
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 4 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 56 min ago
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 15 min ago
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 22 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
49 min ago