Inland Empire News
Amazon finalizes Moreno Valley center plans
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A grand opening for Amazon.com's new fulfillment center in San Bernardino was held Tuesday. That means more than 1,000 full-time jobs in the city.
Whenever you buy something on Amazon.com, someone, somewhere needs to fulfill that order. That's what workers are doing at Amazon.com's brand new fulfillment center in San Bernardino. The company says there are 1,400 full-time jobs in the 1-million-square-foot building.
Governor Jerry Brown was there for the grand opening.
Amazon also announced plans to open up another one of these fulfillment centers in Moreno valley. It will bring 1,000 full-time jobs to the projected 1.2-million-square-foot facility.
But it wasn't all handshakes and smiles. San Bernardino Mayor Pat Morris took a jab at the governor for taking away state redevelopment money, money that he says made bringing Amazon.com here possible in the first place.
Asked if the facility would be there if it weren't for redevelopment money, Morris said, "No."
"All of the infrastructure, Central Avenue, the bridge that you crossed coming across the Santa Ana, all of this is a result of redevelopment tax increment dollars," said Morris.
The governor responded: "Redevelopment did a lot of good things, but every good thing has to come to an end, and that's why we ended redevelopment, and the result is schools are getting billions of more dollars."
inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter