Inland Empire News
Boy brings pot to IE school, parents arrested
GOOD HOPE, RIVERSIDE COUNTY (KABC) -- Parents of an elementary school student were arrested after the boy came to school with marijuana Thursday. Investigators say the 8-year-old boy got it from his parents' back yard garden in the community of Good Hope.
Parents, Rafael Lopez, 38, and Yadira Lopez, 30, were arrested.
When school officials found out what the boy had in his possession, they called the Riverside County Sheriff's Department right away, and deputies then went to the boy's home less than a mile away, on Pepper Drive.
When deputies got there, they say they found the boy's father in the driveway with a bunch of marijuana plants in the bed of his pickup truck. And in the back yard, they found a marijuana garden.
The Lopezes were arrested on charges of cultivation of marijuana and child endangerment.
All four kids at the home were placed in custody of Child Protective Services.
"[The boy] said that he just went into the back yard and grabbed a little pinch full of the marijuana," said Riverside County Sheriff's Deputy Josh Hephner. "He said he had brought it to school to play with it. He showed some friends at the school. While showing the friends, in the exchange, that's when the school staff saw it and brought it to our attention."
arrest, marijuana, marijuana growing, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior 21 min ago
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever 55 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour