Inland Empire News
Hemet man arrested in murder of wife, young daughter
HEMET, Calif. (KABC) -- A Hemet man has been arrested in the murder of his wife and 5-year-old daughter. Both were found dead inside a home in Hemet on Saturday.
Investigators believe 33-year-old Johnny Lopez attacked another woman after committing the murders. Their relationship remains unknown.
Riverside County sheriff's deputies responded to a domestic dispute call at a home on the 40000 block of Sunset Lane around 8:15 p.m. and found an unconscious woman with a slashed throat and multiple stab wounds. She was airlifted to a hospital in critical condition.
Deputies say they found Lopez with blood on himself standing in front of the residence. Authorities say he confronted a deputy, and there was a struggle before he was taken into custody.
About an hour later, police received another 911 call summoning them to a home on the 26000 block of Girard Street. That's less than two miles from the first location. Responding officers found the bodies of a woman in her 30s and a 5-year-old girl.
No details on how the victims died have been released, but authorities say the juvenile and woman are not mother and daughter. The 5-year-old victim was Lopez's daughter from a previous relationship. The woman was his wife.
Sunday night, candles lined the driveway of the house where the two victims were found murdered. Neighbors say they're upset by the violent deaths.
"The lady was nice. Every time I would walk out and wave she would wave back," said Jeri Robles. "The little girl always seemed very happy. The gentleman that lived there was always working on his vehicle."
Authorities say they are not searching for any other suspects in connection with these crimes.
CORRECTION: It was initially reported that the juvenile victim was 6 years old. Eyewitness News has since learned the victim was 5 years old.
body found, murder, homicide investigation, riverside county, inland empire news, amy powell
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 30 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 4 min ago
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide 13 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
6 min ago