Inland Empire News
Retired Hemet man fatally shot in his garage
HEMET, Calif. (KABC) -- A 77-year-old retired Hemet man was fatally shot in his garage in a suspected robbery on Saturday.
The shooting occurred on the 2800 block of Fruitvale Avenue at about 9:13 p.m. Saturday. He was pronounced dead an hour later at Hemet Valley Medical Center. The man was identified as Victor Prinque.
Police say it appears Prinque may have been the target of an attempted robbery, possibly a "follow-home" robbery. They say shortly before he was shot, he and his wife had just returned from grocery shopping. His wife suffered a minor heart attack following the shooting. She was hospitalized, but is now recovering at home with family.
"When they did get home she went in the house with some of the groceries and he was in the garage to get some more out of the garage when the assault took place," said Hemet Police Lt. Duane Wisehart.
It's unknown if the suspect or suspects got away with anything before taking off. The victim's family says Prinque, who left Peru in 1963 to seek a better life in the U.S., was a retired welder. In his golden years he enjoyed volunteering at the Church our Lady of the Valley.
Anyone with information related to the case is urged to call Hemet Police at (951) 765-2400.
shooting, robbery, murder, homicide investigation, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 48 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought 31 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere