Inland Empire News
Pen pals meet for first time after 50 years
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- Two women who began exchanging letters decades ago finally met in person for the first time on Monday. Their friendship has outlasted distance and time.
A lot of people have pen pals. It's a chance to keep in touch with someone, maybe someone far, far away.
But not everyone writes to someone in South America. And perhaps fewer people have kept in touch nearly 50 years after the first letter. After hundreds of letters, Michele Kilgore and Mirta Vieyra finally met in person.
"I always dreamed to know Michele," said Vieyra.
"One thing I've noticed is that my penmanship was much better back then," said Kilgore.
It hasn't always been easy to keep in touch.
"I don't even remember losing her address, but I must have. It says so in the letter, so I must have lost it for a while," said Kilgore.
But after finding each other on Facebook, they decided to meet.
"If you're not on an iPhone or an iPad or computer, you don't communicate," said Kilgore.
The two women have learned a lot of things about each other over the years through these letters. One letter was written my Kilgore, explaining that she wasn't a boy, she was a girl.
Asked if she was sad that Kilgore didn't turn out to be a boy, Vieyra replied, "No, because I wanted a friendship."
Now, these pen pals will spend the next few days with one another. After 50 years of letters, you might think they know everything about each other.
"No, not everything, but I think we will after this week," said Kilgore.
inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months