Inland Empire News
Santiago High football player hospitalized with spinal injury
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- A high school football player from Corona was hospitalized in critical condition after he was injured in a Friday night game.
Santiago High School linebacker Jordan Walker was recovering Monday at Loma Linda University Medical Center.
Looking at the play that hurt the high school junior, it's tough to tell exactly what happened. Santiago High and Upland High were in the final moments of the quarterfinal playoff game, when 16-year-old Walker went in to make a tackle on the running back. But as the pile cleared, Walker did not get up.
As players went to their knees in a moment of prayer, medical staff gathered around Walker. Several minutes later, Walker was carted off the field on a stretcher, as the crowd showed its support from the stands.
Walker's family says he's being treated for a spinal cord injury, and his vital signs are responsive, but they didn't give any details on whether he can move his arms or legs.
In a statement, parents Curtis and Allison Walker said: "We understand that with any sport, there is the risk of injury. We do not blame or have any hard feelings toward the football players and coaches of Upland and Santiago High Schools. We appreciate the love and support Jordan continues to receive from his teammates and coaches."
The Corona-Norco Unified School District said in a statement: "The entire CNUSD community extends our warmest thoughts and support to Jordan and his family during this time."
inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 1 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 39 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 27 min ago
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour