Inland Empire News
Disabled Rialto councilman hospitalized after early morning crash
COLTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A quadriplegic Rialto city councilman was hospitalized Wednesday after spending 11 hours unconscious in his crashed vehicle.
About 1 p.m., Rialto Police received a call from Shawn O'Connell, who is a quadriplegic, saying he had been in a traffic accident on the 15 Freeway at Glen Helen Parkway in Devore. It was unclear exactly what happened, but his vehicle drove off the roadway into a deep, 30-foot ditch about 50 yards off the side of the freeway.
After being unconscious about 11 hours, he finally came to and was able to drive his vehicle back closer to the freeway, where he regained cellular service and was able to call 911.
He had left his home in Rialto headed for the high desert to visit a friend Wednesday morning before he went missing. His phone gave no cell signal, preventing police from "pinging" his phone in an attempt to locate him throughout the day.
O'Connell sustained a bruised lung and a fractured neck but was listed in stable condition Wednesday at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. His injuries were considered non-life-threatening.
CHP said there were no signs of drugs or alcohol found at the scene. The cause of the crash was under investigation.
O'Connell is a former Rialto police officer with the department for 12 years and was promoted to sergeant.
car crash, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors