Inland Empire News
Moreno Valley suspect leads deputies on chase to San Diego County
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A Moreno Valley domestic dispute suspect led authorities on a chase to San Diego County after being shot by police.
It all started with a domestic dispute at Hemlock Avenue in Moreno Valley around 10 p.m. Wednesday. When Riverside police officers arrived on scene and confronted the man, that's when an officer involved shooting occurred. Authorities said the suspect was shot and injured.
The injured suspect then took off, initiating a chase that went from Riverside County all the way to San Diego County. The suspect refused to pull over, and California Highway Patrol officers couldn't stop him either - at least not with spike strips.
The suspect was driving a late-model BMW with run-flat tires. So even though they were punctured by the spike strip, the suspect was able to continue driving.
The chase went down Interstate 15 to Kearny Mesa. The suspect finally pulled off the freeway and into a gas station parking lot on Murphy Canyon Road in San Diego, where he finally surrendered.
But the chase probably would have ended much sooner had it not been for the run-flat tires.
CHP Sgt. Joseph Aboy said officers tried using spike strips twice, but the car continued on at more or less the same speed. Aboy said the 70-minute pursuit reached peak speeds of 80 mph.
Once he was in custody, the suspect was treated by paramedics and transported to a local hospital for the gunshot wound he suffered earlier.
City News Service contributed to this report.
riverside county, san diego, car chase, pursuit, officer-involved shooting, inland empire news, john gregory
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Southern California heat expected to die down
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians