Inland Empire News
Bloomington hit-and-run: Woman arrested in death of tow truck driver
BLOOMINGTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A Riverside woman has been arrested in connection to a hit-and-run that killed a tow truck driver in Bloomington.
The incident occurred shortly before 2 a.m. Tuesday when 39-year-old Ricardo Valdez, a tow truck driver with Aslan Towing out of Riverside, was called to pick up a yellow Chevy Camaro on a bridge over rail road tracks near the 10200 block of Cedar Avenue.
The road is very narrow and has no shoulder. As Valdez was putting the Camaro onto the flat bed of his truck, California Highway Patrol officials say someone driving a silver Nissan Altima slammed into him at high speed.
Instead of stopping to help the victim, CHP says the driver fled the scene on foot. The suspect, identified as 30-year-old Maria Ochoa, was later arrested. The CHP says she faces charges of felony hit-and-run, vehicular manslaughter and DUI.
Valdez was taken to an area hospital in critical condition. He later died from his injuries.
"He is a lovely man, and he is the best father you could ever have," said the victim's daughter, 12-year-old Vianey Valdez.
If you have any information about this incident, you're urged to contact the San Bernardino California Highway Patrol at (909) 383-4217.
san bernardino county, hit and run, car crash, california highway patrol, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital 21 min ago
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks