Inland Empire News
Former Riverside deputy gets 40 years to life in prison for murder
MURRIETA, Calif. (KABC) -- A former Riverside County sheriff's deputy convicted of shooting and killing a man at a bar while off-duty was sentenced on Thursday.
Dayle Long was sentenced to 40 years to life in prison for murdering Sam Vanettes.
"It won't bring him back, but the jury and the judge were right on," said the victim's sister, Brandy Chamberlain.
On Dec. 21, 2011, an argument at Spelly's Pub and Grille in Murrieta ended with Long, whose blood alcohol level was over the legal limit, fired six times at Vanettes, killing him.
On the advice of his attorney, Long chose not to make a statement in court on Thursday.
"I think I heard enough from Mr. Long while he was on the stand. That was enough to tell me that he has absolutely no remorse for taking my brother's life," said the victim's sister, April Reilly.
Before the sentencing, the defense attorney was asking the judge to drop the conviction from second-degree murder to voluntary manslaughter.
"My heart was pounding out of my chest. I couldn't even imagine having to look at my mom's face if the charge was lessened to manslaughter after what he did," said Reilly.
The defense argued Long's actions were spontaneous and that he had identified himself as a deputy and the victim was the one making threatening moves. Long's aunt says he feared for his life and acted in self defense. But in the end, the judge decided not to change the jury's verdict."I think justice was served. We're going to miss him for the rest of our lives, but at least justice was definitely served today," said Reilly.
court case, murder, shooting, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- San Clemente HS lockdown lifted after threat
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss 30 min ago
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease 42 min ago
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Hot yoga: Hazardous for your health?
34 min ago