Inland Empire News
Hemet woman confronts prowler: caught on tape
HEMET, Calif. (KABC) -- A Hemet woman faced off with a prowler who was sleeping in her yard this week. Her home surveillance camera caught the confrontation.
The incident happened at Karlee Meyer's home in the 29000 block of Vista Way. Meyer said she wasn't scared. Instead, she was mad and fed-up because he was the third prowler in her yard this week.
Surveillance cameras captured the man running across her front yard. He then goes in the backyard, walks over to a chair and sits down, then appears to pass out. He's also shown sprawled out on his stomach on the patio.
The next day, the same man went back to Meyer's house. She saw him pull up and go into her garden. That's when she grabbed her weapon, a large rock taped to the end of a stick. It was a homemade weapon that her young sons gave her for protection. She chased after the suspect and confronted him as he tried to get away.
"I thought at least it would scare him, even if it's not really balanced as far as to swing. A bat probably would've been better," said Meyer.
The suspect ran to his car. Meyer followed and that's when the suspect tried to pry the stick from her hands. She held on and prevented him from making a getaway.
"We wrestled all the way around the car, and when we get all the way around, he jumps into his car, starts it, he pulls it into drive, and I can just see myself flopping out the window, and I'm on his lap wrestling him, I throw it back into park," said Meyer.
Meyer said she grabbed his car keys and talked to the suspect until police arrived. He told her he came back to get his cellphone battery. Why he ended up in her yard the day before is unclear.
Meyer told Eyewitness News there have been other cases of people trespassing and breaking into homes on her street. She and her neighbors have formed a neighborhood watch.
Hemet police have not yet responded to inquiries about the suspect and crime in the area.
riverside county, inland empire news, melissa macbride
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 21 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 10 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet 38 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K 47 min ago
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years 52 min ago
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...