Inland Empire News
Cellphone GPS helps nab 3 robbery suspects in Rialto
RIALTO, Calif. (KABC) -- A cellphone's GPS helped lead to the arrests of three armed suspects following a robbery spree in two cities Wednesday night, officials said.
Rialto police say the three suspects robbed people at knifepoint. Their first victim was a college student walking on Eucla Avenue near Arrow Highway in San Dimas. Lt. Andy Karol said the suspects grabbed the victim's backpack, which contained his laptop computer, cellphone and other personal items.
Before fleeing in a white Scion XB, they yelled out their street gang, according to investigators. The suspects -- identified as 19-year-old Mark Fernandez of San Bernardino, 18-year-old Jeffery Henriquez of Los Angeles and 18-year-old Roberto Morales of Los Angeles -- then hit the road, unaware that one of the items in their possession was tracking them.
"At this point, the victim is working with the LASO detectives since he has a location GPS on his cellphone," said Karol.
The trio's next known crime happens in a Ralphs parking lot in Rialto. A security guard called 911 after seeing a father with his two young children dragged out of his car, placed in the suspects' white Scion, and robbed. The suspects took the victim's wedding ring and other valuables.
Ten minutes later, less than two miles away, the suspects hit again. This time, it was at the parking lot of the Farmer Boys restaurant.
"There is a gentleman by himself, sitting in his vehicle waiting for his girlfriend to get off work, and he gets robbed at knifepoint," said Karol.
Minutes later, nearly out of gas, the suspects stopped at a Chevron station. Police quickly moved in and made the arrests. The stolen goods were recovered.
Authorities believe there may be more victims. Anyone with information was asked to contact the Rialto Police Department at (909)820-2550, or the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, San Dimas Station, at (909)450-2700.
caught on tape, robbery, san bernardino county, arrest, inland empire news
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- 100-year-old Olaf Pooley preps for SM artwalk
20 min ago