Metro Blue Line train collides with bus
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Metro Blue Line train collided with an out-of-service Metro bus near downtown Los Angeles Friday morning.
The collision happened near the intersection of Washington Boulevard and Griffith Avenue around 6:15 a.m. The Metro Blue Line train had just left the San Pedro station and was heading south to Long Beach when it plowed into a bus traveling south on Griffith Ave.
There were more than 200 passengers on the Blue Line train at the time of the crash. At least 14 people on the train, including the operator, suffered minor injuries and were taken to a hospital.
"We were carrying around 230 people, some of the people complained about minor injuries," said Metro spokesman Jose Ubalvo.
The impact knocked the front car of the electric train off the track. The other cars remained on the track, which reopened about three hours after the crash.
The bus, which is also operated by Metro, sustained heavy damage. It looked like it had been broadsided by the train. Fortunately, there were no passengers on board the bus because it was being test driven.
"It was a bus that was auto-serviced, driven by our Metro mechanic, that was going southbound on Griffith and that's where this accident happened," said Metro spokesman Luis Inzunza.
Authorities are trying to figure out exactly why the bus turned in front of the train. The wreckage has been cleared away and Metro service is back to normal.
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 23 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 15 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer 36 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Lighting up historic Broadway Theatre...
42 min ago
- Los Angeles Mission serves Good Friday meals
4 min ago