Metro Blue Line train collides with bus
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Metro Blue Line train collided with an out-of-service Metro bus near downtown Los Angeles Friday morning.
The collision happened near the intersection of Washington Boulevard and Griffith Avenue around 6:15 a.m. The Metro Blue Line train had just left the San Pedro station and was heading south to Long Beach when it plowed into a bus traveling south on Griffith Ave.
There were more than 200 passengers on the Blue Line train at the time of the crash. At least 14 people on the train, including the operator, suffered minor injuries and were taken to a hospital.
"We were carrying around 230 people, some of the people complained about minor injuries," said Metro spokesman Jose Ubalvo.
The impact knocked the front car of the electric train off the track. The other cars remained on the track, which reopened about three hours after the crash.
The bus, which is also operated by Metro, sustained heavy damage. It looked like it had been broadsided by the train. Fortunately, there were no passengers on board the bus because it was being test driven.
"It was a bus that was auto-serviced, driven by our Metro mechanic, that was going southbound on Griffith and that's where this accident happened," said Metro spokesman Luis Inzunza.
Authorities are trying to figure out exactly why the bus turned in front of the train. The wreckage has been cleared away and Metro service is back to normal.
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 58 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 52 min ago
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 49 min ago
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard 21 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 38 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'