Grand jury targets Cardinal Mahony
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- U.S. Attorney Thomas O'Brien launched a federal grand jury investigation of Cardinal Roger Mahony, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday afternoon. The Wall Street Journal also reported the story.
No charges were filed in 2002 when the L.A. district attorney's office investigated the archdiocese.
The archdiocese agreed to pay $660 million to 508 people who claimed sexual abuse by priests.
The current investigation, according to the L.A. Times, is focusing on Mahony's handling of priests accused of sexual abuse.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)