Missing mom and kids found
ALTADENA, Calif. -- Authorities who feared a woman might kill herself and her two young children said the family was found safe Friday night in Mexico.
The Los Angeles Angeles County Sheriff's Department was notified at about 11 p.m. Friday that Lisa Ruelas, 38, and her sons had been found in Ixtapa, Deputy Byron Ward said.
Gabriel, 10, and Evan, 5, were "safe and sound" and Ruelas was taken into custody, he said.
He did not immediately have other details and said it was unclear when the family would be returned to California.
Ixtapa is about 190 miles southwest of Mexico City.
A statewide Amber Alert had been issued for Ruelas' minivan.
Ruelas and her children were last seen at around 3 p.m. Thursday at their Altadena home. Sheriff's officials said Ruelas left behind a note expressing plans to kill her children and then commit suicide.
Ruelas' husband died about 18 months ago and she could be depressed said sheriff's Lt. Greg Sisneros.
He said authorities began searching for the family after friends found the home empty and the note inside.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || WIDGET
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 4 min ago
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks