'No Cussing Week' declared in L.A.
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A teenager's effort to fight foul language has reached ears of the L.A. County Board of Supervisors. Officials decided to declare this week "No Cussing Week.
Many adults were carefully watching what they said on Tuesday morning at the Hall of Administration in Downtown L.A. After all, there was a cussing jar, which some said would likely be filled in less than 30 minutes.
Regardless of how full the jar was at the end of the morning, one teen's day was full of praise. McKay Hatch, 14, has been pushing many to clean up their act when it comes to how they speak. He started the "No Cussing Club" at South Pasadena High school a couple of years ago. And from March 2 through March 6 has now been declared "No Cussing Week" by the L.A. County Supervisors.
McKay accepted the honor with the members of his "No Cussing Club." The club says they have gone international and now have about 30,000 members online.
The membership did not come easy. McKay had faced a lot of opposition -- even death threats for his cause.
However, as Supervisor Michael Antonovich pointed out on Tuesday, you are what you speak.
"Throughout the entire world, there are now young people saying they've had enough of cursing, swearing ... Coming together for a positive role model for our young people," said Antonovich.
"It's gotten a lot bigger than I thought," said Hatch. "I think it's bringing a lot of awareness to people's language and -- hopefully -- people see the goodness in using positive language and uplifting people. That's what this whole club is ... uplifting people."
McKay's parents are very proud of their son who says he is now hoping "No Cussing Week" will soon go statewide.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || WIDGET
los angeles, sid garcia
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)