Suspect arrested in fatal USC hit-and-run
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A woman has been arrested in connection with a fatal hit-and-run collision on the USC campus, police said Friday.
The Los Angeles Police Department held a news conference at 4 p.m. Friday to announce the arrest of Claudia Cabrera, 30. She was arrested Friday on investigation of gross vehicular manslaughter. Police are seeking Cabrera's husband, Joshue Luna, as a person of interest in the case.
Cabrera is being held on $1 million bail in Van Nuys.
Adrianna Bachan, 18, and Marcus Garfinkle, 19, were struck by a car as they crossed Jefferson Boulevard at Hoover Street on the edge of the USC campus Sunday morning, March 29. The car had run a red light.
Bachan was killed, while Garfinkle was seriously injured. The driver stopped briefly at the scene, while his passenger got out and removed Garfinkle from the hood of their car. They fled the scene, leaving the victims on the street. Police said a 7-month-old boy was in the car, the son of Cabrera and Luna.
Garinkle remains hospitalized in serious condition with two broken legs and other injuries.
An anonymous donor had pledged another $100,000 on Thursday to a reward, bringing the total to more than $230,000.
Police said $235,000 in award money offered in connection with the accident was a factor in the arrest.
Both students were freshmen at USC who were reportedly returning to their campus housing from a fraternity party.
Bachan's mother said she screamed when she heard of the arrest.
"I did my grieving by coming out, taking action, and I always said, 'I'm going to get them.' Nobody kills my daughter and gets away with it," said mother Carmen Bachan. "Because when my daughter died, it was good versus evil."
Bachan said she is grateful to the couple who donated the extra $100,000 to the reward fund. The couple was reportedly touched by the tragedy and wanted to help.
Anyone with information about the two other suspects is urged to call the LAPD at (877) LAPD-24-7.
City News Service contributed to this story.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 44 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon 54 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes 14 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...