2nd suspect in USC fatal out on bail
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The second suspect in the hit-and-run accident that killed a USC student is out on bail.
"At this point I do not understand our justice system," said Carmen Bachan, mother.
Carmen Bachan is grieving and frustrated. Her 18-year-old daughter, Adrianna, was killed in a heinous hit-and-run.
Fellow USC student Marcus Garfinkle was critically injured. Now just one of the suspect's who was just arrested is free on bail.
"He is the accessory to the murder of my daughter. The animal who took Marcus Garfinkle off of his windshield of the car threw him on the road and left him there to die," said Bachan.
Police say that Josue Luna, 32, pulled Garfinkle off of the hood of the car after his wife, 30-year-old Claudia Cabrera, struck the pair as they crossed Jefferson Boulevard and Hoover Street near USC.
Claudia Cabrera was arraigned last week, but authorities have been on the hunt for her husband. He was finally arrested when he attempted to cross back into California from Mexico.
The victim's family says that his arrest is bitter sweet. Booked on being an accessory to the crime the 32-year-old posted $50,000 bail and was released.
"The callousness and the heinousness of the crime, pulling Marcus off the car, and leaving Marcus to die and Adrianna in the street is just unconceivable. For this man to be out on bail is absolutely stunning," said John Welch, family spokesman.
Bachan's mother says it is a slap in the face and hopes that the court will revoke Luna's bail.
"I hope this animal can't go again in the streets. He has basically destroyed my family," said Carmen Bachan.
Claudia Cabrera has pleaded not guilty to felony hit-and-run and misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter, and remained jailed on $1 million bail.
Police have said that Cabrera was driving with a suspended license and that her 7-month-old son was in the car at the time of the collision.
She could face up to eight years in prison if convicted.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains 50 min ago
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final 15 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping 8 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved 16 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues 31 min ago
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event