Los Angeles News
Man pleads not guilty in USC hit-and-run
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KABC) -- A man who allegedly pulled a critically injured USC student off the hood of a car his wife was driving pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident.
Josue Luna, 33, entered his plea in Superior Court in downtown Los Angeles.
The students were crossing Jefferson Boulevard at Hoover Boulevard around 3 a.m. on March 29, when Cabrera allegedly ran a red light and slammed into them. Bachan died at the scene and Garfinkle was critically injured.
Prosecutors allege Luna got out of the Infiniti, pulled Garfinkle's body from the hood and left him on the street before the couple drove away.
A $235,000 reward and emotional pleas from Bachan's mother, Carmen, led to the arrest of Cabrera on April 2.
Luna apparently fled to Mexico. He was arrested April 18 in San Ysidro while crossing into the United States and released on $50,000 bail.
However, the court commission said Luna is a flight risk and increased his bail to $1 million. Luna was taken into custody after his arraignment, and will appear on May 26 for a preliminary hearing.
Cabrera is in jail in lieu of $1 million bail on a felony count of leaving the scene of an accident and one misdemeanor count of vehicular manslaughter. She pleaded not guilty April 6, and is due back in court June 29.
los angeles news
- Charges expected against sheriff's officials 29 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 42 min ago
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment 14 min ago
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut 11 min ago
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Doonya offers Bollywood-inspired workout
26 min ago