Los Angeles News
Temple City shaken by bribery scandal
TEMPLE CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- A bail hearing will be held for Temple City mayor Judy Wong and former mayor Catherine Wilson on Friday.
Wong, Wilson and Wilson's campaign treasurer Scot Carwile were indicted on Wednesday on bribery and perjury charges. They are accused of soliciting and receiving payments from a developer in 2007.
All pleaded not guilty.
ABC7 was the only station in court as the felony indictments were unsealed on Wednesday.
Both women are charged with lying on fair political practice commission disclosure forms.
Carwile is accused of perjury and failing to appropriately manage campaign funds.
"Public officials are required to report campaign contributions so that people know who is paying what to whom and who is gaining entree because of those payments," said Deputy D.A. Jennifer Lentz Snyder.
Temple City is better known for its Camellia Festival than for corruption.
It was developer Randy Wang who called the D.A.'s public integrity division and filed suit against the city.
He had wanted approval for the Piazza Project, a prime spot at Las Tunas and Rosemead. According to the indictment, the mayor asked the project manager Jay Liyanage for money. He paid it, but the bid failed.
It's a case of sour grapes according to the mayor's defense attorney Sanford Perliss.
"My understanding is that he went to the District Attorney's Office to try to tarnish the reputation of the city council member so that he could leverage over the City Council to try to get his project passed," Perliss said.
Officials said investigators went to the homes of city officials and collected evidence. Evidence was also collected at the City Hall offices.
los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop 22 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Salt water treatment helps rare lung disease
12 min ago