Los Angeles News
Driver arrested in fatal bike accident
VALENCIA, Calif. (KABC) -- One bicyclist was killed, and two others badly hurt, when a truck driver plowed into them on a mountain road. The survivors of the crash spoke out Monday.
The truck driver, 20-year-old Marco Valencia of Canyon Country, is in custody and faces charges of murder, hit-and-run and driving under the influence.
- Video: Survivors of fatal bike crash speak out
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Investigators said Valencia hit three bicyclists in the Angeles National Forest Saturday morning, killing 43-year-old Joseph Novotny of Porter Ranch.
Both victims said one minute they were on their bikes enjoying their ride, and the next minute they were smacked off their bikes and sent crashing into the ground.
Injured cyclist Roberto Jimenez is in physical and emotional pain after he was knocked off his bike by an alleged drunk driver in the 39000 block of Bouquet Canyon Road.
Jimenez said he was hit before he had time to react.
"I lost control of my bicycle and fell on the ground. When I fell on the ground, I saw all the guys that I was riding with. They were all on the ground. We have various injuries, and we tried to resuscitate one of the guys, and we couldn't bring him back," he said as he fought back tears.
"He died while we were up on Bouquet."
The other injured cyclist, George Munana, is still being treated at Henry Mayo Newhall Medical Center in Valencia.
"My back was injured, I have a head injury and some ear problems," Munana said.
Valencia is being held on $1 million bail.
los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'