Los Angeles News
LAPD to get millions in stimulus money
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Police Department will get nearly $16.3 million in federal stimulus money to pay the salary and benefits of officers. According to the Department of Justice, the money will fund approximately 50 positions in the LAPD. The Riverside County Sheriff's Department received nearly $13 million in funding, which should likewise pay for some 50 officers.
The money comes from a $1 billion grant for law enforcement agencies across the nation, and was part of the federal economic stimulus package passed by Congress and signed by President Obama earlier this year.
On Tuesday the Obama administration announced which agencies would be receiving funds, and how much they would get. Competition was fierce; while more than 7,000 agencies applied, only about 1,000 will receive money. According to U.S. Attorney General, the grants were awarded "based on crime rates, financial need and community policing activities." Four major U.S. cities -- New York, Houston, Seattle, and Pittsburgh -- received no grant money at all. In all, the Justice Department expects the money will allow for the hiring or retention of nearly 4,700 law enforcement officers nationwide.
In addition to Los Angeles, several other local cities will receive funding, including:
- El Monte: $2.4 million
- Inglewood: $3 million
- Pomona: $3.1 million
- Santa Ana: $6.7 million
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead 19 min ago
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide