Los Angeles News
Car wash workers demand better conditions
LOS FELIZ, Calif. (KABC) -- Car wash workers are joining forces to demand better working conditions. They want a union to look out for their interests.
The billboard above the Vermont Hand Car Wash was supposed to be unveiled Wednesday. Instead the sign that read "Wash away injustice! Support carwash workers" was taken down, leaving organizers crying foul.
"We had already submitted a contract with the organization that provides this billboard and I guess the workers were ordered to take it down this morning," said Henry Huerta from the C.L.E.A.N Car Wash Campaign
Union leaders and their supporters gathered at the corner of Vermont and Hollywood anyway as part of a campaign to help car wash workers who want to form a union.
"All workers no matter what their race, their gender, their national origin or their legal status have the right to form a union," said Connie Leyva from the California Labor Federation.
Wednesday's rally included members of congress along with AFL-CIO president John Sweeny.
"The reason we are here is to let people know that there is a cause and that we need to raise our voices," said Pedro Guzman, a car wash worker who told Eyewitness News he had fell victim to intimidation.
Organizers of the news conference held the event at the Vermont Car Wash in Los Feliz because workers here have long complained of unfair labor practices and retaliation.
Organizers of Wednesday's rally say the billboard was removed because the owners of the Vermont Car Wash complained.
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles city attorney filed criminal charges against the owners and a manager, alleging 220 counts of criminal misconduct.
los angeles news, robert holguin
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 45 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 9 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 45 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'