Los Angeles News
4 killed after Palmdale car accident
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Four young people are dead Monday morning after a car accident near the Palmdale airport. They were heading to a party in a convertible, when they ran a stop sign and was broadsided by a Cadillac.
Saturday night around 10:30, a stretch of blackened highway in Palmdale became the death of the victims.
Their car was smashed at a collision, and 18-year-old Rylan Jernigan, 19-year-old Araceli Alvarez, 22-year-old Stephen Nubani and 22-year-old Cesar Chunga all tragically died from the impact.
Saturday night, family members of the victims were at the scene. There are no words to describe their grief.
The California Highway Patrol reports the Audi A4 blew through the stop sign at 70th Street East and Avenue N heading north. When it was broadsided by the Cadillac headed east, they say the impact was so hard that both vehicles smashed into each to her, flipped over and landed in a field.
Officials say that two of the victims in the Audi A4 were thrown from the car. All four victims in that car were killed.
Officials say the victim in the Cadillac suffered major injuries and had to be airlifted to the hospital.
"They were on their way to a party and ran a stop sign and got hit. Car flipped over," says Talia Rodriguez, a close friend of Cesar Chunga.
"I love him so much and now he's not here," says Rodriguez in tears.
"It could've been any of our kids you know? It doesn't really matter whose child it is, it's just someone's child and you just think about the pain of the parents." Says Rosa Mendoza of Palmdale.
CHP officials say 22-year-old Nubani was the driver of the Audi, and it's unclear at this point why the young man ran the stop sign. CHP investigators say this stretch of highway isn't known to be dangerous.
A makeshift memorial placed at the scene is chilling, as friends visit in utter anguish and numbing sorrow.
los angeles news, leo stallworth
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup 33 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- Baldwin Village fire likely sparked by candle 48 min ago
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen 33 min ago
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video