Los Angeles News
Car plunges into San Gabriel Reservoir
SAN GABRIEL, Calif. (KABC) -- An out-of-control car plunged off Highway 39 into the San Gabriel Reservoir Friday.
California Highway Patrol investigators says no one witnessed the crash, which occurred shortly before noon, but there is ample evidence indicating what might have happened.
"It looks like the vehicle lost control, veered to the left, went into the dirt shoulder portion of the mountain road striking a raised dirt embankment, at which point caused the vehicle to overturn," ," said Sgt. John Escobedo of CHP.
Escobedo says it then fell approximately 500 feet down the embankment and into the water.
Sheriff's divers were able to locate the vehicle and the driver, who was still strapped inside. The victim's license and other material indicated that the driver was a 44-year-old female.
"The L.A. County Sheriff's Department will float the vehicle to the surface, at which point the vehicle will be dragged closer to the shore, and once we get it to the shore, we'll have our tow trucks take the vehicle out of the water and when the L.A. County coroner arrives, they'll take the body out," explained Escobedo.
While in the water, divers also found the remains of a second automobile, which is estimated to have been in the water for several years.
The grill and battery, along with other debris, littered the roadway.
los angeles news, bob banfield
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians