Los Angeles News
Apparent murder-suicide in Antelope Valley
ANTELOPE VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Sheriff's deputies say a man apparently killed his sister and ex-wife in the Antelope Valley before taking his own life on Monday.
In less than an hour, the gunman killed the two women in two different locations, then drove north on Sierra Highway, where he killed himself.
Details are still sketchy, but police said it appears the rampage started before 7 a.m. Monday. They said the gunman entered a house on 31st Street East in Palmdale, shot a woman believed to be his 33-year-old sister and then left the house.
The 31-year-old man then headed to his ex-wife's house in the 45300 block of Beech Avenue in Lancaster.
Neighbor Jananna Ellison said she heard five shots coming from the house across the street from her.
"I didn't see anything, I just heard five loud booms and I thought somebody was banging on my door," said Ellison. "But when I came out here I seen the police coming up and it was gunfire."
Los Angeles Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore said the 34-year-old woman was killed while one of her children watched.
"The first person was apparently his sister and then he went to his ex-wife's, where he shot her in front of her 8-year-old daughter," said Whitmore. "I mean, there's no good news here. This is a tragedy."
Neighbors said they often saw children playing in the front yard of the home, and they always seemed so happy. They never thought anything so awful could happen in their neighborhood.
"It's really shocking. I've never, ever been in a neighborhood where they've murdered somebody before," said neighbor Betsy Rosaro.
The suspect, who has not yet been identified, was later found in his vehicle near Avenue E and Sierra Highway in Lancaster, dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Detectives have recovered a gun.
"This is an ongoing investigation, obviously it's going to be looked at top to bottom," said Whitmore.
There was no word on a possible motive. The names of the three were withheld pending notification of relatives
murder, antelope valley, los angeles news, gene gleeson
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 39 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed 32 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 47 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Griffith Park mountain lion exposed to poison
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12 18 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- 'The Other Woman' gets last laugh in theaters
15 min ago