Los Angeles News
L.A. detectives bust downtown bike-theft ring
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles police detectives broke up a ring of downtown bike thieves over the weekend, recovering several stolen bikes and parts, drug paraphernalia and counterfeit money.
On Friday, undercover detectives arranged to buy a bicycle posted on the Craigslist Web site. That same day, the bike's owner had reported it stolen from the 500 block of Olympic Boulevard.
The detectives met Ukrainian native, 51-year-old Konstantin Rostovtsev, in Santa Monica and arrested him on suspicion of receiving stolen property. They said Rostovtsev then led them to 43-year-old Edward Arciga.
Detectives arranged another bike sale and met Arciga on Saturday at the Olive Motel on Sunset Boulevard. They said an accomplice opened a motel room door as they arrested Arciga. Inside, they spotted bolt cutters and more bicycles.
Detectives said, in addition to the stolen bikes, they found counterfeit bills, counterfeiting equipment, and drug paraphernalia. They said Arciga was booked for receiving stolen property, but may also face federal counterfeiting charges.
"This is a significant break for us," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon. "There were 123 bicycles stolen downtown in 2009. That's 45 more than the year before, and we know there is more than one ring of thieves who are preying on bicyclists."
Police remind bicyclists to protect themselves with strong locks and not to leave bikes in public places any longer than necessary. It is also a good idea to record your bike's serial number and keep a receipt of its purchase.
downtown, los angeles news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes 42 min ago
- Informant speaks out on jail abuse probe 2 min ago
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- How healthy is flavoring up your water? 3 min ago
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke