Los Angeles News
Man allegedly tried to buy boys' urine
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A Manhattan Beach man who police say tried to buy urine from two boys at an elementary school pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge on Wednesday.
Police Sgt. Brian Brown says authorities believe 18-year-old Kevin Duron walked into a restroom at Pacific Elementary School last Friday and offered two boys several dollars to urinate in a cup - apparently so he could use the urine to pass drug tests.
"It appears he made contact with two students, we did not learn about the incident until a couple of hours afterwards so we've actively been investigating since Friday," said Brown.
Detectives say the students turned down the suspect's offer and Duron left the campus. They say one of the students told his parents, who then alerted school officials.
Police say Duron, a Manhattan Beach resident with no criminal record, was captured by surveillance cameras on the elementary school campus Friday.
Brown says Duron was detained by school security and then arrested on Monday when returned to the campus. He was booked on felony charges of annoying or molesting a child.
However, the district attorney's office dropped the charges in court on Wednesday for lack of evidence supporting the allegations. Prosecutors say Duron pleaded no contest to one count of failing to register before entering school grounds.
A judge sentenced Duron to three years of probation and ordered him to stay 100 yards away from all elementary schools. He was also ordered to perform 10 days of community service, but received credit for three days already served in jail.
south bay, beach, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 17 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside 56 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 6 min ago
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler