Los Angeles News
LAPD shoot, kill unarmed man near Koreatown
LOS ANGELES -- Police officers on Saturday shot and killed an unarmed man who approached them and appeared to remove something from his waistband, authorities said.
No weapon was recovered from Steven Eugene Washington, 27, who was shot by two officers near Koreatown shortly after midnight, according to a news release from the Los Angeles Police Department.
Gang enforcement officers Allan Corrales and George Diego heard a loud noise while driving in their patrol car and turned around to see Washington. The officers said he was looking around suspiciously and manipulating something in his waist area.
When the officers tried to stop Washington to investigate, he quickly approached them and appeared to pull something from his waistband, Assistant Chief Earl Paysinger told reporters at a news conference Saturday afternoon.
Each officer fired once and Washington was hit in the head, police said.
The officers fired "with the belief that he was arming himself, and in defense of their lives," Paysinger said.
Corrales and Diego called paramedics, who pronounced Washington dead at the scene.
Washington's family was told of his death later Saturday morning.
Family members said at the news conference that Washington was autistic and had never shown any signs of violence or had any trouble with police.
"They assured us that they are investigating, they also assured us that they care, so all we want is answers," aunt Vickie Thompson said.
The LAPD's Force Investigation Division and the district attorney's office are investigating the shooting.
Corrales has been with the LAPD for nearly seven years, Diego for nearly eight, police said.
officer-involved shooting, los angeles news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back 28 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert 9 min ago
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 32 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video