Los Angeles News
Missing 11-year-old Chatsworth boy found
CHATSWORTH, Calif. (KABC) -- The search for a missing 11-year-old boy in Chatsworth has ended. The child was found in good health and was reportedly at a friend's house.
It was a nervous 12 hours for mother Kimberly Burton. The search began at about 8 p.m. Authorities said Cody Burton never returned home after his mother told him to take out the trash outside their apartment unit on the 10200 block of Eton Avenue at about 6:30 p.m.
When Cody returned home, it was in a police car, so his reunion with his mother was both tearful and joyous.
Police were a little perplexed. Kimberly Burton had told them Cody had no history of running away, so they launched an intense all-night search for the boy.
She told ABC7 he wouldn't go exploring on his own, but Cody did go exploring after he took the trash out. He apparently got lost and walked to a friend's house 10 miles away in Woodland Hills.
"He went to a friend's house. The door was unlocked, there was nobody home, he went inside, and the family arrived sometime late last night and found him there," said LAPD Capt. Maureen Ryan.
Ryan said Cody was unable to remember his mom's cell phone number.
Cody was scared, but otherwise OK.
Police said there are larger issues in the incident: Everyone should know to inform their children of their address and phone number, and make sure they know them by heart. And if you're a family and someone shows up on your doorstep, don't hesitate to call police.
missing person, los angeles news, gene gleeson
- Funeral services to begin for LAPD Officer Lee 3 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea 38 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
56 min ago