Los Angeles News
Boy shaves head to make bald granny feel better
LA VERNE, Calif. (KABC) -- A 5-year-old La Verne boy has a new look Tuesday, and he did it to cheer up his grandmother. When chemotherapy treatment for cancer made her hair fall out, he showed his sympathy by giving himself a new hairdo.
Five-year-old Zak Wilben was proud of his spiky hair. But last week Zak took scissors in hand, went into the bathroom and began clipping away.
"The door was shut for a little while and I was getting a little nervous so I went in there and I saw Zak with a pair of scissors and he was leaning over the toilet and there was little chunks of hair missing everywhere," said Ashley Hannah, Zak's mother.
Zak explained it was about his grandmother.
When asked why he went into the bathroom and cut off his hair, Zak replied, "Because I don't want only my nana to be the only one to have no hair."
Needless to say, his grandmother was moved to tears and given renewed strength to deal with the chemotherapy combating her cancer.
"I was really shy at first," said Lori Stillwell, Zak's grandmother. "Now I take the wig off a little bit more when I'm at home, but I was really, really shy so I guess he did more than we thought."
Asked how she felt about Zak's haircut, Lori replied, " Oh my gosh, we cried. I couldn't even believe it. And now, he used to only always kiss me on the cheek and now since I've been through this he comes and kisses me right on the lips."
Zak was asked where he got the idea that she was feeling different from others because of her hair.
"Because she's my nana and I don't want her just have the only one that doesn't have no hair," said Zak.
Lori Stillwell summed up the significance of this story when you're in a situation like they're in: "Everybody needs a little Zak."
los angeles news, bob banfield
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 24 min ago
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- San Diego cross memorial removal ordered
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes 6 min ago
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'
- Pasadena teen gets new family for holidays
42 min ago